A treasure trove of the sometimes logical and sometimes mindless ramblings of a woman in the throws of motherhood.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

i guess it's Official...

I was at the gas station several weeks ago.  I slipped my  credit card in and out quickly and then entered my billing zip code.   But, unlike previous times it didn't immediately accept my card, it rejected it.  I stood for a split second puzzled by the problem.  And then it hit me...I had entered my Florida zip code.  I tried again...this time entering my Texas zip code.  Of course, it went right through.

There standing at the gas pump, I thought, "Well...I guess it's official.  I am a Texan."  Tears welled up in my eyes and a pang for "home" went through me.  I was struck by the thought of how a person can be surrounded by people and be so completely alone.  Just as the despair  was about to overwhelm me, a warm Texas breeze blew across my face and my eyes looked across the sky that doesn't seem to have an end... a feeling of pure joy came over me.

I love living here.  I love the heat... the wind... the sky... the foothills that you see as you come over the hill by our home.  I love the comfortable and easy kindness of the people here.  I feel like I understand now what all of the fuss is about.  I guess it's official...I am a Texan.

2 comments:

His Song to Sing said...

As an long-time "official Texan" myself, I have to say this post really warmed my heart! I loved how you described the sky, the wind, and the people but mostly I liked hearing that you are finding joy in those things. Can't wait to visit you there!

Julie said...

I can't wait to see you!