A treasure trove of the sometimes logical and sometimes mindless ramblings of a woman in the throws of motherhood.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

waiting in the Noise...

I have 3 kids, so things can be noisy sometimes.  Let me rephrase that, I have 3 kids, so things are noisy most of the time. There are times when David and I both forget this fact...like when we get on the phone, or get in the van, or sit on a church pew, etc.  This can be challenging at best and frustrating at worst, but none more so than when we are trying to have a conversation.  There are at least 10 or so interruptions for super important requests like: juice, snacks, gum, snacks, have you seen my ____, snacks...you get the picture.  Then there are the wars that break out and the peace treaties that must be negotiated and enforced 3 times before everyone is settled.  And my all time favorite is where a child walks in between both of us and just starts talking, as if he/she is completely clueless that we were speaking to one another.  Needless to say, we have learned to hold most important conversations until the children are in bed or watching a movie.

I say all of this not to complain, although it does feel good to vent from time to time, but to make an analogy.  This is what my conversations with God have felt like lately.  I feel like I am talking to Him over immense noise and I can't quite make out what He is saying.  David and I have both been praying for clarity on the new direction that God wants for our life.  We have prayed for doors to be open and doors to be closed.  We have definitely gotten some closed doors.  So much so, that we are sadly feeling like staying in Abilene might not be a possibility anymore.  But, then there is this one door.  An unexpected door.  A door to a place that we didn't contemplate, nor would we have even thought of...but a place that our paths have crossed before.  And it oddly appears open or at least God has decided not to shut it yet.  David and I have an unexplained pull toward this door.  A lot of things in our life seem to line up for "such a time as this".  So, how much of this is Him and how much of this is us just putting our own reasoning and desire on the situation?  And that is where I hear the noise...

I know that the noise will eventually fade and the answer will come.  Maybe that is what I am afraid of...what if it is not the answer that I am longing to hear?  What if it is?  Until then, I will wait...

28 Do you not know? 
   Have you not heard? 
The LORD is the everlasting God, 
   the Creator of the ends of the earth. 
He will not grow tired or weary, 
   and his understanding no one can fathom. 
29 He gives strength to the weary 
   and increases the power of the weak. 
30 Even youths grow tired and weary, 
   and young men stumble and fall; 
31 but those who hope in the LORD 
   will renew their strength. 
They will soar on wings like eagles; 
   they will run and not grow weary, 
   they will walk and not be faint. 

Isaiah 40:28-31

2 comments:

His Song to Sing said...

Praying for you, Julie. Praying you will be able to hear Him over the noise. Praying about that still open door. It was great to talk to David a few days ago and hope to see him when he passes through here on the 22nd.

Oh, and thanks for the invitation to travel with your Mom to TX. I was already imagining the fun we would have when I remembered I have out of town guests coming in the time frame she mentioned. :( I really wanted to visit while you were living in Abilene.

Julie said...

Thank you for the prayer! So sad to hear you won't be able to come...even though it was a spur-of-the-moment invite. We'll try not to have too much fun without you. I love you!