A treasure trove of the sometimes logical and sometimes mindless ramblings of a woman in the throws of motherhood.

Friday, September 19, 2008

freedom...

I was impacted by a quote that I read this morning.
"We routinely disqualify testimony that would plead for extenuation. That is, we are so persuaded of the rightness of our judgment as to invalidate evidence that does not confirm us in it. Nothing that deserves to be called truth could ever be arrived at by such means."
It is a quote that seems to grow richer the longer you meditate on it. As Christians, we are sometimes afraid to examine the truths that we hold so dear to our hearts and souls; as if they will crack under the pressure of scrutiny. But they are God's truth and, therefore, can handle any inquiry. In fact, the more we test their validity, the more sure and precious they seem to become. Our fears are what constrain us, not God's truths. God promises that the truth will set us free (John 8:32). I am making a conserted effort to stop being fearful. I don't mean that I won't scream when my children jump out from a hiding place and say "boo". I mean I won't sit around worrying and fretting over all the "what-if's". That kind of fear really limits God's power and limits our ability to enjoy the freedoms we have been granted in Christ Jesus.

"...let us throw off everthing that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1


No comments: