A treasure trove of the sometimes logical and sometimes mindless ramblings of a woman in the throws of motherhood.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

a Thankful heart...


One day last fall, my son Carter, who is 4, was helping me make dinner in the kitchen. I love this age, because he wants to be in the middle of everything and he hasn't made the distinction about what is "women's work" and what is "men's work." Of course, I am secretly hoping that one of my sons will be a gourmet chef one day. Anyway...I was making soup and Carter helped me make the cornbread that was being served along side. He was quite happy with his accomplishment and I was excited for him to share this information with the extended family who were joining us for dinner. As he said the prayer for our food that night he included this memorable sentence,

"Thank you for the bread that I helped to make and thank you for the yucky soup."

Although that makes me laugh, to this day, when I think about it, it also presents a beautiful lesson on having a thankful heart. God has a plan and a purpose for every moment of our life. Even in the midst of the "yucky soup", we should be thankful.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 107:1

1 comment:

Sheri McKeand said...

...and Genevieve...you make my heart happy!!